Mike Tyson, the legendary boxer, has become an iconic figure in the world of sports. Tyson’s journey has been extraordinary, with a career marked by championship titles, massive earnings, and high-profile controversies. Despite financial setbacks and legal troubles, Tyson’s net worth currently stands at a solid position.
From his rise to boxing stardom to his successful movie cameos, Tyson’s larger-than-life persona continues to impress audiences around the globe.
Mike Tyson Biography Details
|Full Name||Michael Gerard Tyson|
|Nickname||Iron Mike, Kid Dynamite|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||71 in (180 cm)|
|Birthdate||June 30, 1966|
|Birthplace||Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA|
|Net Worth||$10 million|
|Career Earnings||$500 million|
Mike Tyson’s Net Worth
Mike Tyson’s net worth is estimated to be around $10 million. Throughout his career, Tyson earned significant sums, with his highest net worth reaching hundreds of millions. However, due to a series of financial challenges and poor decisions, Tyson experienced a decline in his wealth.
Mike Tyson’s Biggest Fight Purses & Career Earnings
Mike Tyson’s Endorsement Deals
- Nintendo: Tyson famously endorsed the 1987 Nintendo video game “Punch Out,” where he was featured as the final boss.
- Nike: Tyson had a lucrative endorsement deal with Nike, one of the world’s leading sports apparel brands.
- Gatorade: He also had a sponsorship deal with Gatorade, the popular sports drink company.
- McDonald’s: Tyson appeared in McDonald’s commercials, promoting their products and reaching a wide audience.
- 7-Up: He endorsed 7-Up, a well-known soft drink brand, contributing to their marketing campaigns.
- Everlast: As a professional boxer, Tyson partnered with Everlast, a prominent boxing equipment manufacturer.
- Sony: Tyson collaborated with Sony for the release of the video game “Mike Tyson Heavyweight Boxing” in 2002.
- Street Fighter: While not a traditional endorsement deal, Tyson inspired the character Balrog in the popular video game series “Street Fighter.”
- HBO: Tyson had a long-standing relationship with HBO, which broadcasted many of his high-profile fights.
- Smart Cups: In recent years, Tyson became involved with Smart Cups, a beverage company specializing in ready-to-drink beverages using printed microtechnology.
- Iron Mike Productions: Tyson founded his own boxing promotional company called Iron Mike Productions, where he aimed to promote up-and-coming boxers.
Mike Tyson Assets & Investments
|Real Estate||– Mansion in Connecticut (sold)|
|– Mansion in Las Vegas|
|– Home in Ohio|
|Cars and Vehicles||– Bentley Continental SC|
|– Rolls-Royce Corniche|
|– Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster|
|– Ferrari F50|
|Pigeon Racing||– Owned and bred pigeons|
|– Competed in pigeon racing events|
|– Invested in building pigeon coops and acquiring prized pigeons|
|Licensing||– Endorsed products, including video games such as “Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!”|
|Merchandising||– Appeared in commercials for brands like Nike and Pepsi|
|Business Ventures||– Involved in the cannabis industry|
|– Launched “Tyson Ranch,” a line of cannabis products|
|– Dabbled in acting, appearing in movies and television shows|
Mike Tyson’s Early Life
Mike Tyson, born Michael Gerard Tyson on June 30, 1966, in Brooklyn, New York City, had a challenging early life that shaped his journey to become a legendary boxer. Growing up in a tough neighborhood, Tyson faced adversity from a young age.
At age seven, he experienced a traumatic incident of sexual abuse, which haunted him for years. With his mother facing unemployment, Tyson turned to petty crime to survive, resulting in encounters with the law.
However, his life took a turn when he discovered a passion for boxing, inspired by his idol Muhammad Ali. Tyson embarked on a path to international fame and success in heavyweight boxing.
Mike Tyson’s Career Journey
|Wins||50 (44 by KO)|
|Titles held||WBC, WBA, IBF, The Ring|
|Reign as the undisputed champion||1987-1990|
- Won the gold medal at the Junior Olympics in 1981 and 1982.
- Claimed the gold medal at the National Golden Gloves in 1984.
Professional Debut and Early Success:
- Made his professional debut on March 6, 1985, with a first-round TKO victory over Hector Mercedes.
- Focused on competing in the Heavyweight division throughout his career.
- Recognized as the Ring magazine Prospect of the Year.
- Became the world’s undisputed heavyweight champion in 1986 by defeating Trevor Berbick.
- Held the WBC, WBA, and IBF heavyweight titles simultaneously.
- Notable victories over boxing legends such as Larry Holmes, Michael Spinks, and Frank Bruno.
Controversies and Setbacks:
- Convicted of rape in 1992 and served three years in prison.
- Suffered a surprising upset defeat to Buster Douglas, losing his heavyweight title in 1990.
- Faced personal and financial struggles, including poor financial decisions that led to bankruptcy in 2003.
Comeback and Late Career:
- Made a comeback in 1995 and recaptured the WBC and WBA heavyweight titles.
- Engaged in highly publicized fights with Evander Holyfield, including the infamous “Bite Fight” in 1997.
- Retired from professional boxing in 2005 with 50 wins, 44 by knockout, and 6 losses.
Legacy and Impact:
- Widely regarded as one of the greatest heavyweight boxers of all time.
- He was known for his aggressive style, ferocious punching power, and intimidating presence in the ring.
- During his prime, he played a significant role in popularizing and commercially elevating professional boxing.
Mike Tyson Career Achievements
|1986||Became the youngest heavyweight champion|
|1987||Successfully defended heavyweight titles|
|1988||Defeated Larry Holmes, retaining titles|
|1989||Defeated Carl Williams, retaining titles|
|1990||Lost to Buster Douglas in a major upset|
|1996||Regained WBC heavyweight title|
|1997||Fought Evander Holyfield in “Bite Fight”|
|2002||Fought Lennox Lewis for heavyweight titles|
|2005||Retired from professional boxing|
Mike Tyson TV Shows & Movie
- Mike Tyson Mysteries (2014-2020)
- Being: Mike Tyson (2013)
- Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth (2013)
- That Time I Met Mike (2021)
- Tyson (2008)
- The Hangover (2009)
- Ip Man 3 (2015)
- Rocky Balboa (2006)
- Liger (2022)
Mike Tyson Charity Work
- Mike Tyson Cares Foundation: Founded by Mike Tyson in 2012, this foundation supports children and families in need through programs focused on education, healthcare, and social justice.
- Caudwell Children: Tyson is a longstanding supporter of this British charity that assists children with disabilities and their families. He has participated in fundraising efforts, including auctioning off personal belongings to raise funds for the organization.
- WhyHunger: Tyson has partnered with WhyHunger, an American non-profit organization dedicated to ending hunger and poverty in the United States. He has been involved in fundraising events and has made donations of food and money to support their initiatives.
- Bright Future International: Tyson has contributed to Bright Future International, an organization that offers educational opportunities to children in developing countries. In 2013, he visited Kenya to meet with children benefiting from the organization’s programs and has since made financial contributions.
Mike Tyson’s Personal Life
Regarding his parents, Tyson’s father’s name is Jimmy Kirkpatrick, and his mother’s name is Lorna Tyson. However, His relationship with his parents was complicated, and he has discussed the impact of their absence during his childhood.
Mike Tyson has been married multiple times. His first marriage was to actress Robin Givens in 1988, but the relationship was short-lived and ended in divorce the following year. In 1997, he married Monica Turner, and they had two children together before divorcing in 2003. Tyson is married to Lakiha “Kiki” Spicer, whom he married in 2009. They have two children. As for his children, Tyson has eight children from different relationships.
He has become an entrepreneur and has a podcast called “Hotboxin’ with Mike Tyson,” where he interviews guests.
Mike Tyson Controversies
- Sexual assault conviction: In 1992, Tyson was convicted of raping 18-year-old Desiree Washington in Indianapolis, Indiana. He was sentenced to six years in prison but served only three.
- Biting Evander Holyfield’s ear: In 1997, during his rematch with Evander Holyfield, Tyson bit Holyfield’s ear twice, resulting in a disqualification. Tyson was fined $3 million and suspended for three years.
- Drug use and addiction: Tyson has struggled with drug addiction. He has been arrested multiple times for drug possession and has even served in prison for drug-related offenses.
- Violence: Tyson has been involved in several violent incidents inside and outside the ring. In 1991, he was convicted of misdemeanor assault for punching a limousine driver in the face. In 2003, he was arrested for threatening to kill his wife, Robin Givens.
- Racial remarks: Tyson has made several controversial racial remarks throughout his career. In 2007, he was criticized for saying that black people are “more athletically gifted” than white people.
In recent years, Tyson has spoken out about his past mistakes and has expressed regret for his actions.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many times did Mike Tyson become a heavyweight champion?
Mike Tyson became the world’s undisputed heavyweight champion three times during his career. He held the WBC, WBA, and IBF heavyweight titles simultaneously.
What is Mike Tyson’s boxing record?
Mike Tyson’s professional boxing record stands at 50 wins, with 44 wins by knockout and 6 losses. He achieved numerous victories against notable opponents throughout his career.
What is Mike Tyson doing now?
Mike Tyson has been involved in various ventures. He has appeared in movies and TV shows, hosts his podcast “Hotboxin’ with Mike Tyson,” and is an influential figure in boxing.
Did Mike Tyson ever go to prison?
Yes, Mike Tyson was convicted of rape in 1992 and served three years in prison.
What are some of Mike Tyson’s notable boxing matches?
Mike Tyson had several high-profile fights during his career. Some of the most notable include his victories against Larry Holmes, Michael Spinks, and Frank Bruno and his upset loss to Buster Douglas.
Did Mike Tyson have any amazing friendships in the entertainment industry?
Mike Tyson has had friendships with several celebrities, including fellow boxers and actors. Special friendships include his close bond with Tupac Shakur, a dear friend and supporter of Tyson.