- Manchester City’s coach, Pep Guardiola, retains Joao Cancelo amidst Arsenal’s interest.
- Cancelo was previously loaned to Bayern Munich following a disagreement with Guardiola.
- Despite discussions with Arsenal, the club chose to sign Jurrien Timber from Ajax.
- Cancelo’s impressive pre-season performance has convinced Guardiola to keep him.
- Guardiola’s decision and Arsenal’s acquisition of Timber puts to rest the possibility of Cancelo transferring to Arsenal this summer.
Manchester City’s coach, Pep Guardiola, has decided to keep Joao Cancelo despite interest from fellow Premier League contenders Arsenal.
The 27-year-old Portuguese full-back, who played a critical role at the Etihad Stadium in the past, has managed to rekindle Guardiola’s faith with his performances during pre-season.
Previously, Cancelo was loaned to Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich after a dispute with Guardiola following the 2022 World Cup. His departure coincided with Manchester City’s remarkable Premier League comeback, culminating in them securing a treble win.
This surge in performance without Cancelo and his off-pitch issues had led to speculations of his departure this summer.
Bayern Munich promptly dismissed the idea of signing Cancelo due to financial constraints. Meanwhile, Arsenal emerged as a potential contender for the full-back, having held promising discussions with him in June. However, Arsenal decided to recruit Jurrien Timber from Ajax instead.
Cancelo has demonstrated considerable ‘attitude and humility’ during the pre-season tour, which has been reported by The Sun.
This includes his performances against Yokohama F.Marinos, Bayern Munich, and Atletico Madrid, where he came off the bench to replace Kyle Walker, contributing significantly to the team.
The decision of Guardiola, coupled with Arsenal’s acquisition of Timber, effectively closes the door on any chance of Cancelo joining Arsenal during this transfer window.